Gas Fireplace Safety

Nov 20, 2018 | Gas Fireplace

Gas Fireplace

Gas fireplaces are a quite popular way to warm up in a traditional way without some of the mess. With the flip of a switch you can sit back and enjoy a cozy, warm fire without the trouble of real logs or smoke and fumes. And gas fireplaces burn with up to 90% efficiency rating, meaning almost no pollution.

Gas fireplaces are designed to look so similar to a real wood burning fireplace that many people can’t tell the difference. So while you may not get the nostalgic pop and snap of a real fire, you get an extremely clean, versatile warmth with cost-effective convenience. You also get a wide variety of fireplace designs and installation options. You can choose the design that best matches your home and you have an option to install a fireplace in more rooms than ever before.

Gas Fireplace Safety:

  • Hire a licensed contractor. This is NOT a do-it-yourself job, working with gas lines requires a professional technician.
  • Ask that your contractor installs and oxygen-depletion sensor. Sometimes called a “safety-pilot” this device will automatically shut off the gas if the temperature gets too cold or there is too much carbon monoxide built up.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house. Tests show that gas fireplaces do not increase carbon monoxide levels in your home, but you should have detectors installed anytime you use any kind of gas burning appliance.
  • Have your gas log set professionally and inspected at least ones a year.
  • During a routine maintenance inspection, the professional will:

  • Clean and adjust the logs and accessories like the glowing “embers” so they look their best.
  • Clean the fan and air circulation passages.
  • Clean the glass.
  • Check the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.
  • Make sure you vents are unobstructed.
  •  
    Keep your children away from the gas fireplace. If your model has glass doors, they will get hot enough to burn a little hand that leans against it.

    Keep al household items and flammable objects at least three feet away from your fireplace.

    Contact us at 208-772-4570 if you smell an unusual odor or the appearance of the flames has changed. If you smell gas, call 911 and leave the house.

    Burning gas can deplete the oxygen in your home you should crack open a window to replace the oxygen in your room.

    Keep your fireplace damper open to allow carbon monoxide to escape.

    Need Service?

    Coeur d'Alene: 208-772-4570

    Spokane Area: 509-484-2665

    - or -

    Need Service?

    Coeur d'Alene: 208-772-4570

    Spokane Area: 509-484-2665

    - or -

    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This

    3 Button Header

    Coeur d'Alene
    208-772-4570 208-772-4570

    Spokane Area
    509-484-2665 509-484-2665

    Financing Estimate Request Service